So how much exercise do we recommend?
Well the simple answer is as much as you can possible do! Exercise has lots of benefits, and not just in terms of your physical strength. Whilst exercise certainly does improve your strength, keeping you mobile and active for longer, it also helps
1. With your psychological well-being
2. Helps you sleep better
3. Keeps your heart and circulation in tip-top strength, reducing the risk of heart attacks and strokes
4. Keeps your lungs in good health too.
It's almost never too late to exercise . . .
Post people - whatever their current level of fitness or physical health - can take part in some exercise activity. It may need some modification to fit in with any physical limitations you have but that's ok - we can help!
General recommendations for adults are for a combination of aerobic exercise and strength building:
150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity per week
75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity per week
Examples of moderate exercise:
- walking as fast as you can, or hiking
- riding a bike on level ground
- pushing a lawn mower
Examples of vigorous exercise:
- fast swimming
- fast bike riding, or hill cycling
- aerobic classes
- martial arts
Strength exercises on at least 2 days a week, covering all main muscle groups.
- lifting weights
- working with resistance bands
- doing exercises that use your own body weight, such as push-ups and sit-ups
- heavy gardening, such as digging and shovelling